Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Political PR Oopsies...

In the last couple days it seems that this whole Obama/McCain race is following me everywhere I go. I keep walking into the middle of political debates, and for obvious reasons, it's all over the TV and the newspaper. I consider myself to be a good little American citizen, in that I try to keep myself informed on the issues and what each candidate has to say. While I typically end up agreeing more with the Republican side of issues, I do give the Democrats their fair share of attention. So anyways, in the last couple weeks there have been two separate incidences that have made me giggle. I like to call them Political PR Oopsies :)

The first one...

Last week was the Republican National Convention...while the Conventions are normally a big deal, there was an extraordinary amount of hoopla over this one. One reason was because it was the first chance that the recently nominated Vice President, Sarah Palin would get to introduce herself. And secondly, the publicity over her daughter being impregnated out of wedlock had completely blown up. (I won't even begin to get on my soap box about that one...) So anywho, the convention went well whatever. But did anyone happen to notice who one of the "proud sponsors" of the RNC was? Exxon-Mobil. I almost died! Seriously?! Let's think about this for just one second...Exxon-Mobil was the owner of the ship that spilled oil in Prince William Sound a while back. Lawrence Rawls, ex-CEO of Exxon, was the genius who couldn't be bothered to even make a public apology (he never actually apologized for the incident) or even show face at the site. Now let's see...Prince William Sound is located in Alaska...and Sarah Palin is the governor from where? Oh that's right ALASKA! I mean really. Seriously, this stuff makes me giggle.

As for the second oopsie...

This one comes from the Democrats. Now we've all heard the jokes about Obama being Muslim/associated with Terrorists/Obama Bin Laden/whatever. But nothing puts the icing on the cake like Obama's interview with George Stephanopoulos on Sunday. Apparently the discussion of being Muslim came up...

"Let's not play games," he [Obama] said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Mr. Obama said quickly.


Seriously! You can't make this stuff up!

Giggling over silly politicians,

Micki Michelle

No comments: