Sunday, September 14, 2008

Apparently, I'm one of the nation's "yuppies"

Just a little while ago, the roomies and I were engaged in a conversation about marketing segmentations. More specifically, what type of people live in which zip codes. [Explanation: Tiney has to use this information as research for an audience analysis thingy...or something] So as we are all brainstorming about what kind of people live in certain areas around Jacksonville, we started discussing which segment we could call home. Apparently, I'm a "Young Influential." Here's what is says:

"Midscale, Younger w/o Kids
Once known as the home of the nation's yuppies, Young Influentials reflects the fading glow of acquisitive yuppiedom. Today, the segment is a common address for younger, middle-class singles and couples who are more preoccupied with balancing work and leisure pursuits. Having recently left college dorms, they now live in apartment complexes surrounded by ball fields, health clubs, and casual-dining restaurants."

"2007 Statistics:
US Households: 1,659,223 (1.46%)
Median HH Income: $47,976
Lifestyle Traits
  • Play racquetball
  • Buy rap music
  • Vibe magazine
  • King of the Hill in syndication
  • Mazda 3"


  • I've never felt so stereotyped in my life. It's kinda weird. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am absolutely guilty as charged! I just purchased a Mazda3 in July. I do enjoy my "Crunk Music" from time to time. I am five seconds from the Oakleaf Town Center which is up and coming with casual dining restaurants and popular stores. I keep up with the night life. And when I graduate in December, I will be one of those people who are trying to juggle the profession with the leisure activities. I just never would have guessed I would be this generation's form of the Yuppie.

    I enjoy spending a weekend tailgating and attending sporting events. I like to sit on patios at bars and listen to local musicians while sipping my Midori sours. I like to check out new bars and hang outs in Jacksonville.

    I guess I just never realized that when the cashier at Express asks me for my zip code, such information would result. Even better...this website tells me what the next "segment" of my life will be. Apparently I can look forward to something called "Middleburbs." Whatever that is...

    So I guess here's to Yuppie-dom!
    Michelle

    1 comment:

    Tiney said...

    ...for the record, Express doesn't ask for your ZIP code- they ask for your phone number. Try again : )